Blackheads and whiteheads, known as comedones, can be more numerous on the face and shoulders than red bumps filled with pus. Whiteheads are a combination of oils, sebum and cellular fragments that produce firm to hard plugs within hair follicles. Whiteheads are closed from the top of the skin by the cellular fragments at the follicle opening.
Whiteheads are promoted by excessive cellular exfoliation, which quickly clog or block the follicles. Some skin specialists believe individuals with frequent and multiple blackheads and whiteheads produce sebum that is drier than normal and conducive to forming firm plugs. Sebum contributes to skin oils and people with dry sebum may have dry skin and this may be especially true of people with chronic whiteheads.
Related article: 5 ways how to get rid blackhead naturally
What causes whiteheads
The sebaceous glands normally produce sebum with linoleic acid (omega 6), an essential fatty acid. The sebum stays within the pore, they usually look like small white spots and sometimes they can be invisible to the eye. Some skins inherently do not do a good job of exfoliating or might secrete excess sebum. Using skin care products that do not suit the user's skin type or using inferior quality skin care products. Continuous exposure to sun can also cause milia. The skin gets thicker and this becomes a stumbling block in exfoliation of the epidermal layer. Get rid of whiteheads is use to benzoyl peroxide. Cleansing with gentle exfoliation helps get rid of those unwanted whiteheads, it also prevents fresh whitehead formation.
Do not use products that do not suit your skin type and do not touch your skin with bare hands regularly. Tretinoin (Retin-A, Avita, Renova) is the mainstay of treatment for whiteheads and blackheads. Never squeeze or forcibly remove the whiteheads otherwise you will get a scar or skin infection. Apply homemade scrubbers made by fruit peels. Dry orange peels in the sun and make a powder of them by grinding them. Rubbing lemon peel on the skin helps in reducing whiteheads.Use medicated soaps and cleansers on the skin and apply oil free moisturizers. Drink fresh fruit juices and drink a glass of warm water with some lemon juice into it first thing in the morning. It helps in detoxifying the skin.
Related article: 4 vitamins than help acne fight
Whiteheads Treatment and Prevention Tips
1. Use oil-free moisturizers.
2. Use facial products that are oil free.
3. Clay mask used once a week also helps.
4. Rubbing lemon peel on the skin helps in reducing whiteheads.
5. Keep your skin clean and do not pinch whiteheads with fingernails.
6. Use a mild soap or face wash and wash your face with warm water at least twice a day.
7. Cleansing with gentle exfoliation helps get rid of those unwanted whiteheads.
8. Gentle exfoliating scrub used once a week helps remove the surface debris thus preventing whiteheads.
9. Try using oatmeal and curd and scrub your face with this combination, it works wonders on whiteheads.
10. Peels containing alpha hydroxy acid or beta hydroxy acid can be used periodically at home to get rid of whiteheads.